Saturday, September 29, 2012

I Climbed A Tree

 
This poor little bird fell out of the nest that his momma spent all spring gathering twigs for. 
I found Sport cradling the bridie in his hands with big ol' tears in his eyes.
We had grown attached to the bird family living in the tree outside our front door.
So, I was a little crushed to see the baby bird all on it's lonesome.
I was sure his momma would miss him, but she didn't have any way to get him back up in their nest.
So I googled (how did I live without google before?) what to do with a lone baby bird that can't get back in it's nest.
Sure enough, I found all kinds of tips!
I learned that it's only a myth that momma birds won't take their babies back once they've been touched by human hands.
I also learned that if we could place the baby back in the nest, or place the baby in a new nest (as long as it was in the same tree), the momma bird would call to him until she found her baby and would continue to care for him until he was ready to fly!
Pretty cool, right?
Sport had a big smile for me once I shared the news.
Then he asked me when I would put the baby back in his nest...
UHhhh....
So, I climbed a tree.
It wasn't as easy as it use to be!
And, frankly...it was a little terrifying.
Mr. JP gave me a boost and I started hunting for the mysterious nest.
I never did find the nest.
Maybe it got blown out?
But, the kids happened to still have a nest from a neighbors house. 
So, Mr. JP placed the nest and the baby bird in a bucket and hoisted them up to me...

Once I found a stable place for the nest WAY up in that tree,
I secured the nest and the baby.
Then took a picture to prove to Sport that I really did it.
When I looked down, I found Sport making his way up to check it out for himself!
He just needed that reassurance, I guess :) 
 
Believe it or not, the momma came back! 
We watched her circle the tree and heard her singing for her baby. 
 Our baby bird grew up and flew away just a couple weeks later. 
The kids were thrilled! 
 And so was I. 
I'm so glad I didn't sacrifice my favorite lounge pants (covered in tree sap) for nothing!
Photobucket
Aug. 2012

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...